Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Vancouver Film School

A Letter to Vancouver Film School:

I am writing to state my disappointment in the Film Production Program of Vancouver Film School. There are many, many reasons why I feel like the enormous amount of money I paid was not worth the experience. I felt this way for most of the year I attended, but I tried to make the best of it, I tried to extract what I could, hopeful that things would change. When I heard complaints about the program I was constantly told, "It is what you make it." So I thought, I am a smart, good student and a hard worker... so if it is what you make it, GREAT! But really, it should have been my first clue. Why would so many people be complaining?

It's been awhile since I graduated from the program in 2008... but I still cringe when I think about my year at VFS. And it's even worse when I think of the amount of money I have to pay each month until the year 2038 for this below mediocre experience... I think that is the year I am supposed to retire. At least Canadian students only pay a small fortune... even though I cam from less than a hundred miles south of Vancouver... I paid almost double. I could have bought a house instead... would have been a smarter investment.

First of all, I would like to say that I had fun at VFS, learned new things, and met a lot of wonderful people. However, I am extremely upset with the integrity of the program. I understand that institutions always have problems and kinks to work out and that it isn't easy to please everyone. I have heard numerous complaints from classmates, those who graduated before me, and ex-staff members. I am simply stated the issues that have truly bothered me.

1. Instructors gossiping with students during class time/production meetings. On numerous occasions during classes while we were split up into our crews, our instructors would speak poorly or gossip to us about the other crews/shows. This upset many students and it created a loss of respect among students  for their instructors. It is one thing to bring up some issues to learn from, but to insult another crew or other students is absolutely unprofessional for an educational institution. I also heard that instructors would name students who did poorly or made mistakes in their pitches/proposals/assignments. I am all for giving students examples of what not to do... but an instructor naming names only incites more gossip and a lack of willing to work with each other among the class. Students are lectured constantly for being difficult during crewing, when it is the instructors who encourage and cause this behavior.

2. I have had some trouble trying to describe one of the issues that truly left a negative impression of VFS for me. Instructors and Staff seem to label students and write them off as that kind of person all year long. This prevents students from growing. I was personally told by an instructor, "Everyone knows you're a fussy girl." I feel like this was a label given to me because I would speak up and ask questions. I even had instructors make fun of me for asking questions. Which is not a positive way to run a classroom. 

Another example of this is a young man in my class who was a bit of a goofball and often overlooked for roles of leadership in the beginning of the year. At the end of the year, the instructors asked for students to volunteer to be leaders in a crewing session. He volunteered and the class was behind him, but the instructors wouldn't allow it. These things stunt the growth of students. In an educational institution, students should be encouraged to try new things and given opportunities to excel and flourish.

And now I hear that the school is forcing Ricky Choi out of his position as an instructor at VFS. He was the number one most positive instructor. He encouraged students to use their brains and challenge themselves. He also did not bounce around the halls talking smack about students. Ricky Choi is a true professional. Without Ricky Choi I would completely lose all hope in the program. Ricky Choi (among a few other instructors such as Will Meadows) offered the VFS Film Production Program its only thread of integrity.

3. And now let's talk about the many rules the program lays out for students. Students are told that there are standards within the crewing process. Students need to get certain grades/marks and acceptable attendance in order to hold certain crew positions. These rules are only enforced when the crewing board feels like it. This leaves the students who follow the rules in order to achieve their best out in the dust. Students who complain to the administration seem to get whatever they want, even when they don't really deserve it. I have no sore feelings against any of my classmates for getting selected for any positions. Everyone puts in what they want and from there, it is a complete wild card. So again, no integrity in the crewing process. It didn't matter if we followed the rules or not. I received a non-passing grade on the major sound exam, which meant... I was not eligible to be a sound mixer. Yet, I was selected to be a sound mixer on the last show. I asked to be one, so I was glad to get it... but I should not have been eligible if the instructors followed the rules. I understand that crewing is difficult, but I also think the school should not set rules that they choose to ignore.

Now I want to make it clear that I honestly liked my instructors for they people they are. There was only one male instructor I thought poorly of... probably because he asked me if I had a boyfriend because I "could use that kind of support." Hinting that I needed to get laid. What an unprofessional, arrogant, ass. Other than him, everyone else was cool... just not the best instructors.

In an educational atmosphere, students should feel encouraged rather than worried about what their teachers are saying behind their backs to their peers.

The best instructor of the VFS Film Production Program is easily Ricky Choi. Shame on VFS for dismissing his invaluable life experience and teaching capabilities. 

I could go on and on with examples of how bad the program is. If I could go back in time, I would definitely NOT go to VFS and I do not and will not ever recommend it to another person. The only good thing was meeting my wonderful classmates and all of the other super cool, but unfortunately shortchanged students.


Sincerely,

Elisa V. Sparkman

Film Production Class 118 (Aug 2007- Aug 2008)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Elisa,

    I chanced across your review on artschoolreviews.ca. I have never attended VFS (I attended the Art Institute) but I do understand what you're talking about in the debt you went into to try out film school.

    I actually posted a link to your review plus my reaction on the BC Professional Videographer's Association website. You can see the article here if you like.

    Just wanted to say thanks for posting your review. I think it will be useful for those looking to get into film school.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I worked a VFS and I can confirm most of what you say; it was horrible. I saw on another site you commented that some students want to sue over their VFS education. I can totally believe that. I know of one recent student who requested and got their tuition money back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hellow, ´m In VFS rigth now and im feeling that it´s npt what Ispecteed, can I talk with you for more information?

      Delete